Skip to main content

The Devil and Bruce Wayne




posted on 1/11/2019 by the Salt City Sinner

“So…why Satan?” he asked me.

It was a reasonable question – albeit a personal one. I am,after all, a Satanist. I’m not an evangelist, however, and people in the United States are socially conditioned to think of religion as an inherently expansionist, conquering influence. For example: even though Christians are instructed to “enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray” (Matthew 6:6) those rascals are obsessed with the spotlight – grabbing it, keeping it, brightening it. It’s why Evangelical Christians erect giant stonemonuments to their god on public land, why they  want to make your mind up for you on any number of subjects, because look at them (please, won’t you?), how good they are, don’t they know best?



Even when I was a Christian, I was a Catholic. While Catholicism is certainly a public-facing faith that has no problem whatsoever exerting political pressure on the saved and unsaved alike, the exercise of power by Catholics (like that exercised by Mormons) tends to be less flashy, less overt, subtler. A product of whispered conversations between powerful men in quiet rooms more than a freak-show of bright, clownish exhortation.

So why Satan? Why a literary, romantic Satan (not a material one, but a symbol of rebellion and liberty)? Why not take the atheistic path of the formal, the solemn, and the serious? Or, if mockery of our priestly rulers is the strategy of the day (and oh brothers and sisters, it most certainly is), why not pay obeisance to the slimy tendrils of the Flying Spaghetti Monster?



“Do you remember,” I asked in reply, “why Batman chose to become a bat? I mean, Bruce Wayne isn’t just prowling Gotham by night wearing all black, or dressed like a solider. He wanted something theatrical. Why?”

“Well,” he replied, “bats scare Bruce Wayne, right?”

“That’s true, but only secondarily in my opinion.” In my defense, this was by far the neck-beardiest conversation I would have that day. Or week. “The real key was the line about criminals. That they are ‘a cowardly and superstitious lot,’ remember?” He did.



“So,” I said, “consider theocrats and agents of totalitarian religious control. Can you think of a more cowardly or superstitious lot?”

I think he started to understand. I’m not overly worried about it. As I’ve stated already, I’m a lot of things – but an evangelist, I am not.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apparently, Liberals Are The Illuminati

posted 10/5/2012 by the Salt City Sinner Greetings, sheeple, from my stronghold high atop the Wells Fargo Building in downtown Salt City, where I type this before a massive, glowing bank of monitors that display the ongoing progress of my 23-point plan for complete social control. Whether you want to demonize me as a "liberal," or prefer the Glenn Beck update "progressive," we all know the truth, and it's time to pull the curtain aside: like all left-leaning persons, I am actually a member of the Illuminati. How else to explain how much power my side of the aisle wields in U.S. American politics? According to conservatives, liberals/the Illuminati control the media * , science * , academia in general * , public schools * , public radio * , pretty much anything "public," the courts * , and Hollywood * . Hell, we pretty much control everything except for scrappy, underdog operations like WND and Fox News, or quiet, marginalized voices like

Cult Books: One Good, One Terrible

  I’ve finished writing a new novel (stay tuned for details) in which the massacre at Jonestown in November 1978 plays a pivotal role. Both to research it and because the phenomenon interests me, I’ve read more than a few books on cults and cultic ideology over the last year.

The Garden Is Dead, Long Live The Garden

posted on 8/30/2015 by the Salt City Sinner  The last two times that I wrote about gardening, the tone was uncharacteristically less “playful whimsy” than “agonized demon howl.” This is with good reason. The cockroach-hearted fauxhemian Whole Foods crowd at Wasatch Community Gardens, you see, did a terrible thing to me and many other people – they decided that agreements are for suckers and that what the world really needs is another blighted patch of asphalt rather than a large and vibrant community garden, and so they killed my garden (and the gardens of many others) dead, dead, dead. Forgive my bitterness: there is something about loving a patch of actual soil, about nurturing life from tiny green shoots to a luxurious canopy of flowers and vegetables that brings out a protective streak in a human being, and also a ferocious loyalty. The destruction of Sugar House Community Garden did not, however, end my gardening career – heavens, no! Instead, I and a handful of