Skip to main content

#OccupySLC: The Kick-Off



Images and Video courtesy of Salt City Sinner - feel free to redistribute with permission (I'm nice - just ask!)

#OccupySLC commenced day before yesterday at 10:00 AM (-ish) with a rally at the Capitol Building, followed by a march to Pioneer Park:







Folks started to set up camp.



The weather was miserable (cold, rain, wind) but nobody seemed too put off by it. As of my last check-in #OccupySLC is operating on 24-hour camping permits fully approved by the police. The SLPD has been civil, helpful, and generally very cool



A small contingent of crusties (click for more info) set up "camp" as well. For a movement that warranted a post from Andrew Sullivan denigrating the anti-cap and anarchist kid contingent, there weren't a lot of crusties (and no Situationists) present. Of everyone I spoke to, the punks seemed the most cynical and least optimistic about the goings-on, but they were there to make their voices heard even so.


Of course, one strident Ron Paul supporter (and bless him for showing up) is all it takes for Chanel 2 News to decide they've found a serious spokesperson for #OccupySLC. Note that Ryan Kane, who IS something of a spokesperson for #OccupySLC, intervenes.


Of course, had Mr. Channel 2 News given the Ron Paul supporter (whose name I unfortunately did not catch - please contact me if you know his name or contact info) enough time to make a point or two, they might not have gotten the "Look At The Freak" coverage they were looking for:


I did get a chance to have a few brief words with Ryan Kane as well:



It was a cold, cold night, but #OccupySLC is in full effect. 




I'll be getting more footage and pictures and stories from the goings-on as I can.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apparently, Liberals Are The Illuminati

posted 10/5/2012 by the Salt City Sinner Greetings, sheeple, from my stronghold high atop the Wells Fargo Building in downtown Salt City, where I type this before a massive, glowing bank of monitors that display the ongoing progress of my 23-point plan for complete social control. Whether you want to demonize me as a "liberal," or prefer the Glenn Beck update "progressive," we all know the truth, and it's time to pull the curtain aside: like all left-leaning persons, I am actually a member of the Illuminati. How else to explain how much power my side of the aisle wields in U.S. American politics? According to conservatives, liberals/the Illuminati control the media * , science * , academia in general * , public schools * , public radio * , pretty much anything "public," the courts * , and Hollywood * . Hell, we pretty much control everything except for scrappy, underdog operations like WND and Fox News, or quiet, marginalized voices like

Cult Books: One Good, One Terrible

  I’ve finished writing a new novel (stay tuned for details) in which the massacre at Jonestown in November 1978 plays a pivotal role. Both to research it and because the phenomenon interests me, I’ve read more than a few books on cults and cultic ideology over the last year.

The Garden Is Dead, Long Live The Garden

posted on 8/30/2015 by the Salt City Sinner  The last two times that I wrote about gardening, the tone was uncharacteristically less “playful whimsy” than “agonized demon howl.” This is with good reason. The cockroach-hearted fauxhemian Whole Foods crowd at Wasatch Community Gardens, you see, did a terrible thing to me and many other people – they decided that agreements are for suckers and that what the world really needs is another blighted patch of asphalt rather than a large and vibrant community garden, and so they killed my garden (and the gardens of many others) dead, dead, dead. Forgive my bitterness: there is something about loving a patch of actual soil, about nurturing life from tiny green shoots to a luxurious canopy of flowers and vegetables that brings out a protective streak in a human being, and also a ferocious loyalty. The destruction of Sugar House Community Garden did not, however, end my gardening career – heavens, no! Instead, I and a handful of