Skip to main content

Holiday Solidarity And Guerrilla Cheer


Tonight 'round about 5 PM MST, #OccupySLC hosted a "flash meditation" in Temple Square.



The first time I ever heard the term "flash meditation" I believe my exact, sardonic, aren't-I-clever words were "sounds tricky."

Well har-de-har-har, Charles, you prick. It turns out that meditation is scientifically proven to be beneficial to your well-being, and to boot, it builds a more thoughtful, inclusive way to relate to the world around you. As pro-meditation flash mob hub  MedMob states:

Our intention is to create an environment for people from all religions, all world views, and all experience levels to join together in meditation. Our vision is to continue inspiring world-wide meditations until the entire world is invited to join - literally!
Tonight was cold. Colder than I anticipated. But the lights were up, and beautiful. As I've said before, if I had my druthers, we'd have Christmas lights up year round.



Thankfully I found my way to the beginning of the flash meditation. It went well (at least, the early stages that I was there for).



While we sat and meditated, the beautiful light displays that the LDS Church spends so much time and effort on were splendidly arrayed around us. There was no rowdy "protesting," no hostility - as a matter of fact, the people I saw made a point of smiling at and engaging with curious onlookers.

One woman, hustling by with her children, growled something about "protesters," and I did something I rarely do - I engaged her.

"We're not protesting," I said as politely as I could. She looked confused, and then collected her youngsters and was on her way without another word.

Why were we there? Why a flash meditation?

As has become the common refrain for #Occupiers, I can only speak for myself.

I was there to demonstrate that despite the fact that I am an atheist, despite the fact that I am a skeptic and a free thinker, and despite the fact that I am a political radical, there are things that bring us all together.

As we meditated, the soft glow of Christmas lights played over the faces of families, children, hippie anarchists and curious observers alike. Christian hymns played on a loudspeaker, and brilliant white illuminated statues of various Mormon figures abounded.


I had to leave a little early, but a few things gave me hope.

First of all, there was no attempt to make an arrogant claim that we were #Occupying "Temple Square" &c. That would have been disrespectful at best and silly at worst.

Second, our entire purpose in being there was to celebrate solidarity with our community - to enjoy the lights, the season, to nourish our roots in the community. I myself, for example, live only a few blocks from Temple Square, and rarely go there. That should change, lack of religious convictions or no.

So cheer up. Spread some holiday cheer. #OSLC will be hosting more "Really Really Free Markets" in the near future (stay tuned), so come get some free apples and/or yarn things and learn about a world in which you aren't a suicidal drone trapped in the razor-sharp entrails of a godless machine.

Mazel tov!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Apparently, Liberals Are The Illuminati

posted 10/5/2012 by the Salt City Sinner Greetings, sheeple, from my stronghold high atop the Wells Fargo Building in downtown Salt City, where I type this before a massive, glowing bank of monitors that display the ongoing progress of my 23-point plan for complete social control. Whether you want to demonize me as a "liberal," or prefer the Glenn Beck update "progressive," we all know the truth, and it's time to pull the curtain aside: like all left-leaning persons, I am actually a member of the Illuminati. How else to explain how much power my side of the aisle wields in U.S. American politics? According to conservatives, liberals/the Illuminati control the media * , science * , academia in general * , public schools * , public radio * , pretty much anything "public," the courts * , and Hollywood * . Hell, we pretty much control everything except for scrappy, underdog operations like WND and Fox News, or quiet, marginalized voices like

Cult Books: One Good, One Terrible

  I’ve finished writing a new novel (stay tuned for details) in which the massacre at Jonestown in November 1978 plays a pivotal role. Both to research it and because the phenomenon interests me, I’ve read more than a few books on cults and cultic ideology over the last year.

The Garden Is Dead, Long Live The Garden

posted on 8/30/2015 by the Salt City Sinner  The last two times that I wrote about gardening, the tone was uncharacteristically less “playful whimsy” than “agonized demon howl.” This is with good reason. The cockroach-hearted fauxhemian Whole Foods crowd at Wasatch Community Gardens, you see, did a terrible thing to me and many other people – they decided that agreements are for suckers and that what the world really needs is another blighted patch of asphalt rather than a large and vibrant community garden, and so they killed my garden (and the gardens of many others) dead, dead, dead. Forgive my bitterness: there is something about loving a patch of actual soil, about nurturing life from tiny green shoots to a luxurious canopy of flowers and vegetables that brings out a protective streak in a human being, and also a ferocious loyalty. The destruction of Sugar House Community Garden did not, however, end my gardening career – heavens, no! Instead, I and a handful of