Skip to main content

Who Is Utah's BEST Street Side Advertiser- TAKE 2!



I was twenty-one years of age the first time I saw a man standing on the side of the street holding a sign to advertise a local business.  California the place and the year 1998.  I thought it strange to stand on the side of the road, next to cars speeding by.  Not only strange, but scary.

Only 2-3 years ago did street side advertising take a front seat on my side of town.  When I was younger I heard my Home Economics Teacher say "Utah is behind the times about ten years", so that would make sense. At times I drove by and saw their brightly colored signs telling me to do my taxes... reminding me that they have an "Open Bay" at the local car shop, and even "$5.00 Pizza!".  Other times I drove by and noticed a person, not necessarily the sign, many of them standing still... stiff as a board, earphones on and/or a cell phone in one of their hands (one handed texting).

Approximately six months ago late summer or early fall, while driving home from work I saw the most amazing SSA (Street Side Advertiser).  There he was on the corner of 4800 West and 3500 South, dressed in a Super Mario costume complete with the over-sized head.  It was not the costume that set this SSA apart from all the others, it was his energy and radical movement!  He DANCED... danced like no man I had ever seen before  He danced like he was at a glow stick infested / techno music blasting / neon color filled RAVE!  I had the most difficult time making it through the intersection without getting into an accident.  I quickly made it to the daycare to gather my children into the car and head back over to Domino's Pizza so we could see the dancing Mario and pick up a fast (un-healthy, fat filled) dinner.  He was gone before we made it back to the pizza parlor.  I saw him dancing that corner for the next few weeks, and then he disappeared.

Starting in January I saw a new SSA for Liberty Tax on 5600 West and 3500 South in West Valley dressed in red/white striped pants and a bright blue suit jacket with tails.  Some days he wore a red white and blue over-sized top hat, other days a winter cap that gave the perception he had a black and white mohawk.  I recognized the new Liberty Tax SSA immediately from the dance style and energy.  My children loved driving by and seeing his funky groove.  After only a few weeks he disappeared again.

While driving with my younger sister through a part of town I had not driven before I spotted him!  At a Little Ceasars on 4800 West and approximately 7000 South.  Holding a familiar looking sign shaped like an
electric guitar- JUST like the first SSA for Little Cesars in Kearns that I posted on.  I am certain this SSA takes the cake... but I'm still hunting for more (just in case).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apparently, Liberals Are The Illuminati

posted 10/5/2012 by the Salt City Sinner Greetings, sheeple, from my stronghold high atop the Wells Fargo Building in downtown Salt City, where I type this before a massive, glowing bank of monitors that display the ongoing progress of my 23-point plan for complete social control. Whether you want to demonize me as a "liberal," or prefer the Glenn Beck update "progressive," we all know the truth, and it's time to pull the curtain aside: like all left-leaning persons, I am actually a member of the Illuminati. How else to explain how much power my side of the aisle wields in U.S. American politics? According to conservatives, liberals/the Illuminati control the media * , science * , academia in general * , public schools * , public radio * , pretty much anything "public," the courts * , and Hollywood * . Hell, we pretty much control everything except for scrappy, underdog operations like WND and Fox News, or quiet, marginalized voices like

Cult Books: One Good, One Terrible

  I’ve finished writing a new novel (stay tuned for details) in which the massacre at Jonestown in November 1978 plays a pivotal role. Both to research it and because the phenomenon interests me, I’ve read more than a few books on cults and cultic ideology over the last year.

The Garden Is Dead, Long Live The Garden

posted on 8/30/2015 by the Salt City Sinner  The last two times that I wrote about gardening, the tone was uncharacteristically less “playful whimsy” than “agonized demon howl.” This is with good reason. The cockroach-hearted fauxhemian Whole Foods crowd at Wasatch Community Gardens, you see, did a terrible thing to me and many other people – they decided that agreements are for suckers and that what the world really needs is another blighted patch of asphalt rather than a large and vibrant community garden, and so they killed my garden (and the gardens of many others) dead, dead, dead. Forgive my bitterness: there is something about loving a patch of actual soil, about nurturing life from tiny green shoots to a luxurious canopy of flowers and vegetables that brings out a protective streak in a human being, and also a ferocious loyalty. The destruction of Sugar House Community Garden did not, however, end my gardening career – heavens, no! Instead, I and a handful of