Skip to main content

Crib Notes and TelePrompTers

Okay - the furor over Sarah Palin's use of crudely scribbled notes on her palm:



...would be silly if she hadn't followed the right-wing script of leaping down Obama's throat for his use of a TelePrompTer every time she was given the shadow of an opportunity. I think Joan Walsh pretty much hit the nail on the head when it comes to summarizing the tone of Palin's Tea Party speech (and, frankly, her whole Nuremberg Junior approach to politics in general):

I know journalists aren't supposed to use words like mean and dumb, but I can't help it. Palin is one of the meanest people on the public stage today. She wallows in it. She loves it! Also? Possibly one of the dumbest. But mean works, and so does dumb. And so do lies, and there were many mean, dumb lies in her speech.


Dave Weigel* also noted Palin's tone:

“How’s that hopey-changey thing working out for ya?” said Palin, paraphrasing a slogan made popular on Tea Party t-shirts.” She mocked the stimulus package — the speech was heavy on mockery — by leaning slightly down and saying “nobody messes with Joe,” quoting a comment President Obama made that has been more or less forgotten outside of Tea Party circles.


Leaving aside the standard use of TelePrompTers by every living human who speaks in the media, I was personally pissed off by both Palin (and the right in general) making this an issue, and then Palin's change of heart on crib notes for personal reasons.

Not to toot my own horn, but I was Utah State Champion in National Extemporaneous Speech/Debate in both 1998 and 1999 (I was also a double ruby member of the National Forensics League). For all of you non-nerds out there, this is what my event was: I was given a topic, and had 30 minutes to write and memorize a persuasive seven minute argument on the subject. None of us were allowed TelePrompTers, true, but none of us were allowed to jot down notes on our palms, either (that, to me, seems like the domain of grade school kids trying to cheat an exam).

President Obama is a professor of Constitutional law. He faced down a hostile GOP assembly with no notes and no prompts. Sarah Palin is a failed Governer of a weird, backwater state, and can't even answer softball questions from the most friendly audience imaginable without resorting to crib notes scribbled on her palm.

Sarah Palin is the type of worthless political hack who never could have cut it in Extemp, let alone mainstream politics, and yet here we have a whole movement (albeit a small and silly one) ready to embrace her.

* - Dave Weigel's coverage of the convention is invaluable, and I encourage anyone interested in this freak show to follow it at the Washington Independent.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apparently, Liberals Are The Illuminati

posted 10/5/2012 by the Salt City Sinner Greetings, sheeple, from my stronghold high atop the Wells Fargo Building in downtown Salt City, where I type this before a massive, glowing bank of monitors that display the ongoing progress of my 23-point plan for complete social control. Whether you want to demonize me as a "liberal," or prefer the Glenn Beck update "progressive," we all know the truth, and it's time to pull the curtain aside: like all left-leaning persons, I am actually a member of the Illuminati. How else to explain how much power my side of the aisle wields in U.S. American politics? According to conservatives, liberals/the Illuminati control the media * , science * , academia in general * , public schools * , public radio * , pretty much anything "public," the courts * , and Hollywood * . Hell, we pretty much control everything except for scrappy, underdog operations like WND and Fox News, or quiet, marginalized voices like

Cult Books: One Good, One Terrible

  I’ve finished writing a new novel (stay tuned for details) in which the massacre at Jonestown in November 1978 plays a pivotal role. Both to research it and because the phenomenon interests me, I’ve read more than a few books on cults and cultic ideology over the last year.

The Garden Is Dead, Long Live The Garden

posted on 8/30/2015 by the Salt City Sinner  The last two times that I wrote about gardening, the tone was uncharacteristically less “playful whimsy” than “agonized demon howl.” This is with good reason. The cockroach-hearted fauxhemian Whole Foods crowd at Wasatch Community Gardens, you see, did a terrible thing to me and many other people – they decided that agreements are for suckers and that what the world really needs is another blighted patch of asphalt rather than a large and vibrant community garden, and so they killed my garden (and the gardens of many others) dead, dead, dead. Forgive my bitterness: there is something about loving a patch of actual soil, about nurturing life from tiny green shoots to a luxurious canopy of flowers and vegetables that brings out a protective streak in a human being, and also a ferocious loyalty. The destruction of Sugar House Community Garden did not, however, end my gardening career – heavens, no! Instead, I and a handful of